Orient Express is a popular choice for tourists visiting Sapa from Hanoi. If one walks past the Orient carriage, he or she will not go without noticing this special train: the artistic Oriental exterior design and high use of carved wood interior. Orient ticket price is on the average side of all Hanoi Sapa train which also explains its popularity. Orient Express offers a quite stunning decoration compared with many other trains operating the same route. The cabin is well maintained, and the ticket price is reasonable.
Cabins of Orient Express Train are beautifully decorated by wood-paneled and equipped with air-conditioners. Water and snacks are provided for free to passengers. Orient Express Train offers two kinds of cabins, including:
- VIP 2-berths: Each berth has individual reading lights, baggage storage and spacious trunk for suite case and hand luggage. These cabins are designed to for those who desire to have the privacy with the remarkable interior decor.
- Deluxe 4-berths: 4-berth cabins are the excellent option for groups of travelers and families due to its large and cozy atmosphere, while the VIP 2-berth cabins with more privacy are the ideal place for those who love to enjoy their trip with more tranquil and private space.
All cabins have large glass-window for a great view of country’s landscape along the way. There are clean and pure private bathroom cabin at the end of each carriage.
Schedule of Orient express train
Orient Express Train travels daily with national trains on the route between Hanoi and Lao Cai. From Hanoi to Lao Cai, Orient Express departs at 21:40, and reaches Lao Cai Province at 5.25am the next day. On the reverse way, Orient’s carriages leave Lao Cai Province at 20:35 and stop in Hanoi at 4.45 the next morning.
- SP1: Depart Hanoi to Laocai: 21:40 – 05:45
- SP2: Depart Laocai to Hanoi 20:35 – 4:45
Orient express train Sapa review
We took the train SaPa to Hanoi (obviously you can go the other way too). The train has lots of carriages all marketed as different brands. When booking, ask for a discount and they are often not full, at least when we were there in June which is low season. Also, ask for free soft drinks, snacks, beers and whatever you can get.
Jezza1983 / Sydney, Australia
As part of the Mountain Travel SOBEK Vietnam trip, we traveled by Orient Express from Hanoi to Sapa and it was incredible. We were met by a uniformed steward bearing a fine bottle of chilled wine for us in our private room. There was an elegant dining room but we skipped dinner for the wine in the elegant room. The bathrooms were very nice for a train and the staff very helpful. We had a great nights sleep and this is a must for travel in Vietnam.
Read more about other reviews of Orient Express train Sapa.
Price of Orient express train
For booking travel from Sept 8th, 2017 to Sept 30th, 2018
|Ticket||Deluxe 4-berth cabin||VIP 2-berth cabin|
|One way||$30 / berth|| $63 / berths|
Surcharge $2 for one-way tickets
The above rates are inclusive of:
- Value added tax as prescribed by the State
- Passenger insurance (According to Vietnam Railways regulation)
- Children under 5 years old free
- From 5 to 10 years old (height is less than 1m30) buy ½ ticket coupled with parents
- Over 10 years old as adults.
One way ticket is available except high season.
Ticket price does not include meals on the train but includes snack and drinks.
Free of charge for children under 5-year-old sharing parent‘s existing berths.
WC is not cabin
Orient express train booking